Iranian authorities have banned the YouTube debate programme Azad, citing the spread of what officials described as “false information,” in the latest move highlighting the country’s increasingly restrictive media environment.
Iran’s judiciary said it had launched an investigation into the channel after an episode was broadcast that allegedly contained false information. The announcement was made through Mizan Online, a news outlet affiliated with Iran’s judiciary.
According to the judiciary, Azad was operating as an unauthorised media outlet because it did not hold an official licence from Iran’s Ministry of Culture, which is responsible for regulating media activities in the country.
Authorities have reportedly ordered the programme’s director and presenter, Mehdi Ahmadi, to stop all media activity until the channel obtains the required licence. The judiciary also accused the programme of committing several violations of media regulations while operating without authorisation.
Ahmadi confirmed that he had been questioned and charged with disseminating false information. He said he was released on bail following the proceedings but that Azad had been prohibited from broadcasting interviews until further notice.
The development comes at a particularly sensitive time for Iran. Media restrictions have intensified since the US-Israeli attacks on February 28, amid the continuing conflict and heightened tensions across the Middle East.
Azad has built a significant audience on YouTube, with nearly 160,000 subscribers. The programme has become known for discussions covering a wide range of subjects, from the Iran-US conflict and the economy to philosophy, sexual violence and broader social issues.
Its guests have included people representing different parts of Iran’s political spectrum, including opposition figures living outside the country who have openly criticised policies of the Islamic Republic.
For many viewers, the controversy surrounding Azad goes beyond a single YouTube programme. It raises broader questions about how much space remains for independent discussion, political debate and alternative viewpoints in an increasingly controlled media environment.
Iran has maintained strict regulations over journalism and media organisations for many years. Journalists and media outlets generally require official authorisation and licences to operate.
The country has also blocked access to YouTube and several other major social media platforms for years. Many Iranian users rely on virtual private networks, commonly known as VPNs, to access restricted online services.
Azad’s case therefore reflects a wider tension between traditional media controls and the growing influence of online platforms. While digital media can give audiences access to a broader range of voices, governments can still impose restrictions through licensing requirements, legal action and limits on broadcasting activity.
The case also highlights the growing importance of independent digital programmes in countries where conventional media operates under strict regulations. Whether Azad will eventually return to broadcasting or secure the necessary authorisation remains uncertain.
For audiences following Iran’s political and social developments, the situation is another reminder that the battle over information is increasingly taking place online, where independent voices can reach large audiences but may also face significant regulatory and legal pressure.
